Saturday was my grandmother’s 88th birthday. We had a wonderful time talking and laughing over dinner and cake– my grandparents, mom, aunt, and my grandparents’ neighbor. Such a great time and such a wonderful reason to celebrate!
As we left our house to go to their house, I noticed that my tomato plant had collapsed and come un-staked! I hadn’t imagined it would have grown this much or branched as much as it did, and I had only two stakes… which were not nearly able to hold it up at this point. Later that night, I propped it up as best I could since I couldn’t do much else with what I had. This entailed a bunch of yarn and trying to tie each branching loosely to the stake (somewhat in the middle) and hoping that the weight would even out the plant. It seemed to work… for a bit.
By Monday morning, the plant had collapsed again, still tied to the stake, but with the stake leaning heavily under the weight of the continuously growing plant. So, since I was running errands, I tacked another stop onto my to-do list and bought six more tomato stakes– five very tall ones and one short. I left the house at around 3pm and we got home a bit after nine… It was dark, but in the light of the single light bulb outside our door, I cut all the yarn I’d so carefully tied over the weekend and carefully staked each individual branch with the tall stakes. I then added the two smaller ones onto the most crooked-ly growing branches so these branches were doubly-supported. I had one tall stake left over, which I’m saving in case of any more issues– or when the cherry tomatoes seem to need it, whichever comes first.
I’m happy to say that, on inspection this morning, the whole tomato plant is growing tall and straight! Yay!! I’m very happy.
And the peppers continue to grow… And the corn is taller than I am!!
Pictures to come. It’s been quite a day and I’m far too tired to upload, but wanted to at least make sure to post tonight.